Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Crazy cocktail time


6:30pm is cocktail time here and I was just cutting up limes for a well-deserved vodka and tonic when the dogs started barking like crazies. As this happens roughly ten times a day: the UPS guy, Fedex gal, Rob the mailman, landscaper, neighbor's landscaper, other neighbor's landscaper, the neighbor opposite's landscaper, their contractors, a jogger, a dog walker, I tend to ignore them. But this was late for any one other than a walker so I looked out and I could see someone or at least the shirt and tie of someone who I presumed had something to do with my neighbor's renovation project. SO I yelled at the dogs to shut up and went back to mixing the drink.
Then I looked out of the window and I saw a bunny streaking across the lawn with Jefke in hot pursuit. I didn't want the cat to get the rabbit so I ran outside in my fluffy slippers and sweats screaming at the cat in the hopes of distracting him. That was when I became aware that another neighbor was driving up the cul-de-sac and can see me in my fluffy slippers having a meltdown on my drive. So dignified. Anyway, his car got between the rabbit and the cat and he sat there long enough for the rabbit to get away. I waved and the cat followed me back up the drive towards the house. Whereupon my other neighbor came to see if I was ok as she heard the screaming. OK by now I am mortified.
However, it turns out she was coming over anyway as she saw someone lurking about my property (which was what disturbed the cat) and wanted to check if I was alright.
Well I think whoever it was was probably just lost and my screeching scared them away.
But the weirdst thing was she said it was "a black kid" and I thought "oh, no not a missionary at cocktail time".
I think I've got a little racist living here and I really need that cocktail now.

No comments: